Monday, November 28, 2011

All Quiet on the Storefront

Alright.  I'm sorry that I am a bit late in my post.  I did say that I was going to post on my experience working on Black Friday.

Or, as I like to call it, "Friday."

I had a 9:00am to 9:00pm shift.  Twelve hour shift with a 30 minute lunch break.  I left the house an extra 30 minutes early because I thought I wouldn't be able to find a parking spot.

The Expectation
So, as it turns out, it wasn't that bad.  I was able to instantly find a parking spot and sit in my car for 30 minutes listening to the radio.  I missed the mob.  Instead I had a steady stream of people all day.  So, I didn't have to worry about getting pepper sprayed or trampled or what have you.  (I suspect next year
someone will bring an actual mace.  Like, spike ball on a chain mace.)

All I had to worry about was the length of the shift.  As both of my sisters write blogs in which they refer to their endurance running (found here and here) I think I'll refer to my experience working through a pictorial marathon metaphor.

Hour 1 through hour 3
Hour 3 through hour 6

Hour 6 through hour 9

Hour 9
Hour 9


Hour 10

Hour 11

Hour 12
Yes.  TIME ITSELF slowed down and made my last 4 hours dreadfully long.  OK, maybe time didn't slow down as much as my perception of time slowed down, but still.  CURSE YOU, TIMELORD!
When I got home I was pleasantly surprised.  Through some Redditry, Zach Weiner of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal offered to send me a free poster.  It had been so long I figured that I had been forgotten, but when I came home I found this waiting for me:

Needless to say, it made my day a little bit brigher
Now, for this post's THE OBLIGATORY THE CAT PICTURE OF THE WEEK The wife wanted me to post this picture of The Cat's Christmas collar: 

It's got extra jingle bells and extra cheer.
 But, instead, I am going to use this picture, which was taken today after he decided he's had enough Christmas cheer:

You just been Bah-Humbugged, bitch!
Thanks for listening to me whine!  If there is any topic you want me to cover about our life here in Columbus let me know.  I'm out of ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Oh God. I thought I was gonna die after an eight hour shift! I can't imagine twelve!!! Ew ew ew!! I'm glad you survived, even though the kitty attacked you. :(

    ReplyDelete