Monday, November 14, 2011

A horrible flight and my triumphant return to the work force.

The Wife and I went to my Grandfather's funeral this past weekend.  It was a nice service that focused more on how awesome he was rather than how sad we'll be now that he's gone.  We then went to my uncle's house to look at photo albums and share funny stories.  Side-bar, after looking at decades worth of photo albums I firmly believe that my grandfather never willingly wore a shirt.  After it was over I asked the wife what she would like to happen to her remains.  She had three words for me:

I WANT TO BE THE 1,000TH GHOST!
Then we flew home.  Now, we didn't have a lot of notice so we booked two days before we flew to Rio Rancho.  (It's like the Richardson or Cedar Park of Albuquerque.)  We chose American Airlines because they had bereavement rates.  (A fact that one of my Uncles plans to use on a regular basis.)  Because we booked late we could not check or reserve a seat until we got to the airport.  Therefore we were in group 4 every flight.  Every flight was full and we heard, "We have a full flight and we won't be able to hold everyone's carry on bags.  If you wish to check your bags for no charge please see the customer service representative."  WHAT?  You're not going to CHARGE me for this inconvenience?  SCORE!  Needless to say we were pushing down women, children, and that one guy who wouldn't get off his Amazon Kindle to store our bags.  Luckilly we didn't have to check bags.  We didn't want to show up to the funeral in our airport attire due to lost bags.

I only fly in my Forever Lazy.

The trip back was ridiculous.  On the first flight (ABQ to Dallas) we were put in the last row of the plane.  Here was the view outside our window:

I know it's your first flight, little Billy, so you can have the window.  Enjoy staring at the engine for four hours!
Why on Earth is the jet engine RIGHT NEXT to the window?  I felt like I was being brainwashed by the noise.  Since we were on the last row our seats didn't lean back.  But the seats in front of us sure did!

The Wife said she felt like a typing T-Rex.
I felt really bad for The Wife.  She has a big test this week and needed the flight time to study.  It was not the easiest atmosphere to study in.  I had some important stuff to do too, though:

24 down, 126 to go.
 Then we went to our second flight (Dallas to Columbus):  We had the exit row.  Bright side:  more leg room.  Down side:
Facepalm
Now the wife can't work at all.  She read a study guide for a bit.  I played the part of the "cup holder."  I have no regrets.

Now that We're back in Ohio I have officially joined the ranks of the employed.  You are reading the blog of the newest holiday season cashier for the Easton Best Buy!  Eight dollars an hour here I come!  Let the celebration begin!
Click the picture to get the TRUE celebration!
OK, so I have to admit that I am not super excited for my new employment.  Maybe it's the fact that I'm a checker again.  Maybe it's the fact that I am not even getting ten dollars an hour.  I am not sure.  I'll do my best while I am there.  Maybe I'll be able to get a raise if they decide to keep me after the holidays are over.

And now, the return of The Obligatory The Cat Picture.

It was so nice when you weren't in my face with that phone.

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow holiday retail worker (making even less than you, I might add!) I do not blame you at all for your lack of enthusiasm.

    Also, your wife is still lovely even while making that face. I rather miss you guys even though I'm pretty sure I've only hung out with you twice.

    Pokemon is super important.

    ReplyDelete