Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

The Wife and I have completed our first thanksgiving in Columbus.  And it was a very Muppetty thanksgiving at that.

Yesterday afternoon The Wife and I saw The Muppets in Easton.  The Wife and I weren't very impressed with the theater itself.  The movie started late, the speakers were uncomfortably loud, and I am not sure they know how much soda costs elsewhere in the United States.  And the theater upkeep? I guess they wanted to give people a feeling of accomplishment upon finding a clean seat.

Two consecutive seats without melted gummy bears fused to the cushions? HELL YEAH!
But the movie?  Awesome.  Molly and I were both happy with Jason Segel's take on the characters.  Without giving too much away it's about the Muppets trying to save their old studio by producing a comeback show.  The movie basically said: "70's or not, the Muppets' message of acceptance, love, and humor is relevant."  I kind of hope this leads to Kermit and the gang returning to TV.  And by kind of, I mean I've never hoped for anything more.

That's a hyperbole.

Today The Wife had to grade some papers so I spent the day watching Muppet Treasure Island and Muppets from Space.  Awesome.

Then we had dinner.  Now, since The Wife and I live on our own we decided to have a thanksgiving dinner that consisted of only the good parts of the Thanksgiving meal.

Dumb.

The only things we made were mashed potatoes and a green bean casserole.  But we got some premade turkey, stuffing, and croissants.   Our spread looked like this:

Notice the missing croissants.  They didn't make it to dinner.   Also not pictured is my Coke in a wine glass.   It's a holiday, I wanted to be fancy.

After dinner The Wife and I watched some Community on DVD, and The Wife fell asleep.  Then we watched the DVRed parade.  They had a medley of songs from "Spider-man: Turn Off The Dark."  After which we had this conversation:

The Wife:  "You know what would have made this WAY better?"
Me:  "Not having the music written by U2?"
The Wife:  "Yes, actually.  That's what I was going to say."

Then the villains came out, and the true horror of this show was made known by all.

I have to put an end to Broadway. 
It's a tradition in The Wife's family to decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving.  Since I am working all day tomorrow we decided to put up the tree today, and don't say "Christmas needs to stop butting into Thanksgiving!" If Thanksgiving wants Christmas to back off maybe Thanksgiving should try to be more awesome.  You know why Christmas keeps butting into Thanksgiving?  Because Christmas kicks Thanksgiving's Puritan ass.  Hell, many people eat big turkey dinners as part of their Christmas celebration.  Thanksgiving is Christmas without all the presents and damn holiday cheer.  Suck it.

Anyway, here are some highlights from our tree:

My grandparents have been sending us these Texas Capitol ornaments for years.  I was happy to put a few of them up.
When we got married we couldn't find an "our first christmas" ornament that we liked.   So we made one out of a Tangled ornament. 
Two South Park pictures in one post?
Congradulations, Texas Longhorns, for giving Texas A&M the send off they deserve.  (who else wasn't worried when they were leading in the first half?)
One of the many Marvel themed ornaments.  Our tree is at least 85% Disney.
Bart and Funzo.  "Writhing Funzos / in a sack / makes me happy / makes me hurt my back!"
Last featured ornament:  Wolverine stealing Christmas.  What a jerk.
Here is the finished tree.  It's a Wal-Mart tree that looks more like the Charlie Brown christmas tree than the tree on the box.  But we love it anyway.

Anyway.  Merry Christmas!  I'll post again after my experience working on Black Friday.  Until then, here's The Obligatory The Cat Picture.  He decided to take a nap in a stupid place.

If you step on me, I will flip out on you.  You will wish you were never born.


No comments:

Post a Comment